Not only does keeping your house in good condition contribute greatly to the comfort and well-being of your family, it also enhances the safety of your home by ensuring it can’t be breached by the elements. To make certain that your windows and doors are strong enough to stand up to whatever Mother Nature throws at them, proper maintenance is essential. Follow this checklist provided by Renewal by Andersen of Northeast PA as you work to maintain your windows and patio doors throughout the year.
- Check the weatherstripping. Weatherstripping is a durable, flexible material used to prevent air and water leaks by sealing the tiny gaps and cracks that can be found between the frame and sash of your windows. If your weatherstripping is no longer in good condition or not staying in place, consider contacting your window installer.
- Inspect your window finish. Take a look at the interior and exterior finishes of your windows. If the surface is damaged in any way, it may be necessary to repaint or restain the damaged portion. Before doing so, however, it’s best to consult your contractor or the care and maintenance guide for your windows and doors to learn the right type of cleaning solution to use in preparation for any painting or staining.
- Examine exterior caulking. Caulking surrounds the edges of your window frame in order to keep out air and moisture. If you find any loose caulk, remove it completely and reseal the gap with fresh caulk.
- Check your window and door hardware. Test and closely examine the hardware on all of your windows and patio doors, including the locks and operating mechanisms. If they’re not working correctly or seem to be failing, ask your contractor for a fitting replacement.
- Tighten things up. Keeping things clean and tight will ensure that your windows and doors work better longer. Do this by tightening all hardware screws and cleaning any dust or dirt from the hinges, tracks and sills of your windows and doors.
- Find a buddy. Some window maintenance will require a ladder. Whenever you need to use a ladder, ensure your safety by taking precautionary measures and asking someone to support it from the ground.
- Follow safety precautions. Working with paint and cleaning solutions can be hazardous to your health. Be sure to take your safety seriously and wear protective clothing and eyewear when appropriate.
After inspecting windows that are old or outdated, you might feel it’s time to think about double-pane replacement windows from Renewal by Andersen of Northeast PA. Give us a call today at [company_phone] and our experienced staff will guide you through the entire process, from selecting your windows and replacement doors to installing them.