As spring approaches, many homeowners look forward to welcoming the season by beginning their yearly spring cleaning. Cleaning windows is probably one of the least popular of those tasks, but fortunately, Allentown replacement windows from Renewal by Andersen® are a cinch to clean and maintain.
Did you know that using standard glass cleaner and paper towels or newspapers is one of the least effective methods of cleaning windows? You’re basically just moving the dirt around, as well as creating a static charge on the glass that will just attract more dirt and dust. It’s much better to follow the example of professionals and use a lint-free cloth, squeegee, and mild soap and water (or vinegar and water) to clean glass.
Steps to Clean Renewal® Double-Hung Windows
- If your window has an interior grille, lift the grille away from its clips and set it aside.
- Unlock the window and lift up the lower sash just a bit. Pull down the wash assist tabs from the top of the window frame until you hear a clicking sound, then grasp the top corners of the lower sash and tilt it in.
- Once the glass is clean, rest the sash on the sill or on a sturdy object such as a stool. You will then push the tabs back up to the top and lower the upper sash a couple of inches. Inside the top of the frame, you will find two small clips. Squeeze these in, and you can then tilt the window in and continue your cleaning.
- When you’re finished, push the upper sash back into the frame. Pull it down slightly until you hear it snap into place, and then you can raise it all the way back up. Do the same with the lower sash, listening for the clicking sound to know it’s back in place.
- Replace the grille, if applicable, and that’s all there is to it!
Feel free to check out our Window Care & Maintenance page for more tips on how to clean replacement windows. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us at (610) 355-4055. Renewal by Andersen of Northeast PA is the company homeowners can trust for top-quality windows and patio doors in Allentown and surrounding Lehigh Valley communities.